Astronauts, swimming and Rushmore…
- Week of 28 November to 4 December.
- Health week 5/5. Fasting week. My 6th 5-day fast, I think.
“How the gym gives back.” — ERnst
- I published a blog post about fasting. I think I’m fairly happy with the More Life Labs blog now.
- I had about 180 unique IPs read my health guide in November.
- Go like the More Life FB page.
- Discovered this again: To Fall in Love With Anyone, Do This
- One of the Octotel fibre floaters was rather unhappy when his new name badge title was: “Floater”.
- Top 4 Wes Anderson movies: Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic, Fantastic Mr Fox. I can’t seem to find a 5th one to make it a top5 list.
- Goals vs. Systems
“The first follower transforms a lone nut into a leader. When you find a lone nut doing something great, have the guts to be the first person to stand up and join in.” — First Follower
- Obvious to you. Amazing to others.
“Embrace your funk.”
“I think this a song of realization, specifically the brutal reality of New York or any major city. The realization of the fact that people are overrun by the power of money and selfishness. I feel that the rose trees are symbolic for the growing of relationships, which would explain “I thank they Lord there’s people out there like you” showing the appreciation for whomever he speaks of. I think the chorus shows what these people are missing, “turn around and say good morning to the night” shows how these people are letting life pass them by, and “for unless they see the sky, but they can’t and that is why, they know not if it’s dark outside or light” shows that they don’t even know what they’re missing. And the major point of what they are missing is the rose trees, friends, lovers, whatever Taupin means by the rose trees.” — about Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters
- Been listening to: We Learn Nothing
“Every company is a technology company.”
“Jedi and Christianity is compatible.” — Jacques
- I booked some IMAX Star Wars tickets.
- Remember to put sunblock on your lips this summer.
- Tuesday, swim, office, afternoon podcast beach walk around Clifton, took my laptop to the beach and processed some notes to an AltJ soundtrack, chilled on the beach till after sunset with Heleen – chats about Total Immersion swimming and lucid dreaming, nice sunset.
- Wednesday, office – green tea, ketone high, lunchtime 1km swim with Heleen, nap, podcast sunset beach walk, phone chat with Ernst – who now uses the word “bro” a lot because of Crossfit, phone chat with Mia – chats about the podcast research project.
- Good listen about rapamycin and metformin.
- Thursday, Headspace app meditation, office, doctor visit, catch up green tea with Jospeh and Ben, 1km swim with Heleen, watched The Arrival at VIP cinemas in the Waterfront… good movie – not what I expected – check it out, First Thursday adventure around Bree Street and a Bardough visit with Heleen, Nick, Michel, Nadia, Lulu, Paul.
- Turns out a night of walking around First Thursday is not much fun on day 4 of a fast.
- I suspect I might be more prone to ear worms than most people.
- Anton made a Suicide Gorge booking for December. Walk #11, I think.
- Nobody is going to help you. Does that encourage you or discourage you?
- I’m busy perfecting the ultimate morning mobility routine… J-curl + squat combo. 3x in the morning.
- Friday, woke up in ~Fresnaye, Headspace meditation, swim, office, Vitality test, a fast-ending smoothie really hit the spot – and a ginger shot – good re-feeding, fetched Mia, the usual biltong stop, drove to Cape Town – chats about “hell yeah! or no”, T10, Mia went for a SUP with Heleen off Clifton 4th, yoga session on Clifton 2nd with Hilah – good fun – took Mia a while to work out if she was up for it – but she joined in and enjoyed it, quick change from beach gear to dinner outfits – Mia refused to let me wear this one shirt (because, she said I looked like a Pokemon) and chose a better one, very nice dinner at La Mouette with Heleen and Mia – beautiful summers night in the courtyard, very tasty Jordon Chardonnay, time well spent.
- There was a moment while doing yoga on the beach that I thought… life is good.
- I finished our November health challenge 5kg lighter and racked up 52k Vitality points. I guess you can’t really have a health blog if you are not at least platinum Vitality status.
- Saturday, early beach walk from Clifton 1st to 4th and a catch up phone chat with Paul, Shrek flapjacks and cacao nut mylk with Mia, Mia did robotics while I had my hair cut at Red Rum, two fittings at Coral Wetsuits, shopping for watermelon and limes, super chilled afternoon on Clifton 1st with Mia and Heleen, Mia SUPed, swim, watched some Star Wars / Clone Wars episodes, ended up not going to the Wavescape film thing.
- Being, not having.
- Turns out she’s a Star Wars fan, did synchronised swimming, and she always wanted to be an astronaut.
- Sunday, early beach walk, breakfast with my mom, nippers, drove to Elgin while listening to an audio book, lunch at The Pool Room with Heleen and Mia – good Chardonnay, walk, tea and crossword puzzles, watched Gattaca… such an epic movie – astronauts, jazz clubs, swimming and cool architecture, watched Rushmore – Mia liked it, time. very. well. spent.
“What’s the secret, Max? Yeah, you seem to have it pretty figured out. The secret, I don’t know… I guess you’ve just gotta find something you love to do and then… do it for the rest of your life. For me, it’s going to Rushmore.” — Rushmore
- Tune of the week: Ooh La La, The Faces / Rushmore
Monday, office, lunchtime 1km swim with Heleen, researched open water swimming and triathlon wetsuits, afternoon podcast beach walk around Clifton, took my laptop to the beach and worked a bit, wrote a health blog post – nice sunset, watched a video about Total Immersion swimming.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.